Christmas is celebrated widely in Malta and there are many activities you can attend during the festivities. In this article, we will briefly mention the most popular activities you can attend during Christmas and News Years Eve in Malta.
1. Visit Christmas Markets
Christmas villages are popular and you can find many in various locations across the Island. Christmas wonderlands, farmer and craft markets - there is something for everyone to soak up the atmosphere and buy fresh local produce for your Christmas cooking. Below are a few selected Christmas markets you can attend.
- Christmas Village at Valletta Waterfront, Valletta
- Natalis Notabilis, Rabat
- Swatar Christmas Village, Parocca Swatar
- Christmas Village, Naxxar
2. View Christmas Cribs
A great tradition in Malta is the creation of unique handmade crib exhibitions. You can find these usually by signs in the streets, where cribs are exhibited in garages, open for the public to enjoy. There are also bigger exhibitions you can attend, such as in Gozo.
- Presepju Haj, Triq Robert Mifsud Bonnici, Hal Lija
- Bethlehem f'Ghajnsielem 2018-19, Ta'Passi, Mgarr Road, Ghajnsielem (Gozo)
- Mechanical Crib, Triq l-Isqof Emm. Galea, Zejtun
3. Watch a Pantomime
Another widely popular activity is to watch Pantomimes. These shows are held at various Theaters and schools across the country. Different classical and modern pantomimes can be attended, and we have listed a few popular ones below.
- Sleeping Beauty - The panto of your dreams. Teatru Manoel, Valletta
- Jack and the Beanstalk, MFCC Ta Qali
- Snowwhite u l-Magija fil-Foresta tal-Fantazija Panto 2018, Teatru Dun Mikiel Xerri, Zebbug
4. New Years Eve Celebration
Many love to celebrate entering the New Year big, and there are various things you can do. Attending the show in Valletta is the most poplar but many also like to attend gala dinners for example. Although there is a lot going on, we have listed the top places to be when the clock strikes midnight.
- The Valletta New Year's Eve Celebration, Valletta
- New Year's Eve in Gozo, Independence Square & St. Georges Square Gozo
If you are visiting Malta during this period, you will surely enjoy the atmosphere in general across the Islands, and with these options you have a packed agenda with quality activities. Enjoy the holidays!