When registering a business and in order to promote various different business activities, the government has gotten rid of the requirement of trade license in Malta for various different business activities and trading company formation. Specifically, this has been done through what's called Legal Notice 40 which was drafted and proposed in 2016 and became official on the 1st of January in 2017. L.N 40 makes it clear as to which business activities require a trading license and which do not. A trade license in Malta business need is granted by the Commerce Department.
For starters, general traders don't need to procure a trade license in Malta . As for the other business activities that no longer require a trading license as per L.N 40 of 2016 are listed in Part I on reference page B 5957.
Then there are the activities that still require a trading license or approval from the Commissioner of Police. These activities that do require a trading license as per L.N 40 of 2016 are listed in Part II of the First Schedule on reference page B 5963. in the case that someone does need a trading license for their business activity can find the application form on the commerce department's website.
Documents Required When Applying For a Trade License in Malta
Regarding the documents needed to acquire a trade license in Malta, these are also listed right in the application form. Generally this consist of personal details such as;
- Contact Details;
- Passport and/or Maltese Residence Document; and
- Jobs Plus work permit
There are different forms to be used when applying depending on the business activity. Those applying to be a Street Hawker use Form A, Market Hawkers use Form B, while Marketing Agents use Form I.
Activities Requiring a Trade License
Here are the category codes for the different business activities which need a trading license under L.N 40:
- 52.6E Retail sale by door-to-door sales persons of goods and services (except sale of food and beverages) connected to commercial activities listed in Part I of the First Schedule
- 52.62A.1 Street hawker of food, beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages) and tobacco products
- 52.62A.3 Street hawker of bread only
- 52.62A.4 Street hawker of fruits and vegetables only or fish only
- 52.62A.5 Street hawker of traditional Maltese nougat (qubbajt)
- 52.62B Street hawker of non-food and non-beverage items
- 52.62C.2 Market hawker of food, beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages) and tobacco products (all localities where a market is established except at Valletta, Marsaxlokk (daily open-air market except Sunday) and Victoria, Gozo)
- 52.62D.2 Market hawker of non-food and non-beverage products (all localities where a market is established except at Valletta, Marsaxlokk (daily open-air market except Sunday) and Victoria, Gozo
- 52.62E.1 Marketing Agent of food and beverage products
- 52.62E.2 Marketing Agent of non-food and non-beverage products
- 52.62F Busker
- 74.872 Auctioneer